Black Walnut Kitchen and Bath Inc., a successful Kitchen and Bath Renovation and Design company located in Ottawa, Ontario is seeking an Intermediate Carpenter or who has passion in their work to join its kitchen and bath remodel group and lead a team of equally passionate renovators, craftsmen and women, and carpenters. This job is also open to independent contractors with appropriate WSIB clearance certificates and commercial liability insurance and HST registration. The successful carpenter will have excellent technical, finishing, interpersonal, job management skills and several years of progressive responsibility in the field of interior kitchen and bath renovations to manage kitchen and bath renovation projects from start to finish. The job requires these skills to ensure each project is completed on time, to company standards, and to the customer’s expectations. It is vital that all staff, suppliers and customers are treated with utmost respect and professionalism.
Eligibility:Legally eligible to work in Canada- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or authorized to work in Canada under the federal Immigration Act (valid work permit).
- All aspects of interior renovation including, but are not limited to:
- Demolition- careful deconstruction of existing interior spaces
- Rough framing – framing for the new layout
- Insulation- Installation of various kinds of insulation and vapour barrier
- Electrical- N/A- all electrical performed by ESA licensed electrical contractors
- HVAC- N/A- installed by other licensed professionals
- Plumbing –N/A installed by other licensed professionals
- Drywall- Installation of drywall, corner beads, taping mudding and sanding
- Wall tiling- installation of tile backer board, tiles mortar and grout, tile edge trim, tile niches Familiarity with Schluter products and installation
- Flooring- Installation of subfloor, ceramic tiles, hardwood, vinyl, and transitions. Familiarity with Schluter products and installation.
- Doors- installation of interior swing, pocket, sliding, French doors, and hardware. Occasional installation of exterior swing, patio doors, door handles, door locks, and capping
- Windows – Occasional Installation and capping of interior windows of all shapes and sizes
- Cabinetry- Assembly and installation of kitchen and bathroom cabinetry
- Counters – Installation of post form/laminate or butcher block counters. Hard surface counters to be installed by others
- Trim carpentry- Installation of baseboards, window and door casing, crown moulding, towel bars, grab bars, closet shelves, stair treads and handrails.
- Painting- walls, ceiling and trim
- Clear oral and written communication with management, staff, customers and suppliers
- Problem-solving of technical or interpersonal issues that may arise
- Take ownership of the project
- Pleasant interactions with the customers, no foul language allowed
- Able to handle stress when issues arise
- Able to teach other crew members new skills
- High attention to detail and perfection
- Respect self, customers, customer’s homes, staff and management
Job Management Skills
- Grace under pressure- deal with the day to day operations of each project
- Time management – ability to get the job done on time, manage weekly time schedule for the project crew
- Leadership- ability to lead, motivate and train staff
- Innovation- Constantly striving to find more efficient and effective ways to accomplish tasks
- Contract management- manage job according to the contract
- Change orders- initiate and track all change orders
- Punch lists- create, maintain and clear punch list items
- Warranty- Ensure all warranty items are cleared
- Carpentry tools- hand and small power tools (drills, sanders, saws, etc.)
- Power tools- table and mitre saw etc.
- Drywall tools- trowels, mixers sanding tools
- Tiling tools- Tile saw, trowels, straight edge
- Flooring- Hardwood flooring tools, vinyl flooring tools
- Own transportation
Education and experience
- 5 years of experience installing custom cabinetry and millwork
- 5 years of progressive experience in high-end kitchen and bathroom renovations
- 5 years experience as intermediate remodelling carpenter
- Completion of post-secondary education in carpentry and cabinet making
About the job
- Type of position: Employee or Subcontractor
- Hours of work: Full time plus overtime, year-round
- Pay type : Hourly and piecework mix.
- Pay frequency: Weekly Direct Deposit for employees based / Subcontractor paid based on milestones
- Vacation: Vacation paid out each week for employees /N/A for Subcontractor
- Overtime: As needed to meet deadlines
- Wages if employee based: Amount based on experience
- Subcontractor fees negotiated according to an agreed pricing and delivery schedule
- Lifting: Moderate to heavy up to 60Kg
- Worksites: Residential
- Smoking: Due to allergies, this is a no smoking position
- Expected Start Date: 2021-09-15 or sooner
- Are you able to work throughout the Ottawa region? ( Orleans to Stittsville)
Full-time, Freelance, Permanent
$22.50-$35.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Carpentry: 3 years (required)
Drivers license (preferred)
- Assist lead craftsman with all aspects of an end-to-end kitchen, bath or interior renovations in a timely and professional manner. Operate a variety of hand and power tools (e.g. drills, saws).
- Clean and prepare construction sites as requested, ensuring that areas are safe and accident-free.
- Monitor to ensure work is of meets quality control standards and conforms to all job plans and specifications
- Perform regular tool maintenance (e.g. sharpening, sorting, cleaning).
- Load and unload construction supplies from trucks both manually and with the use of equipment.
- Assist in the preparation of documents and reports.
- Travel to/from work sites as directed.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 9 kg/20 lb
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 23 kg/50 lb
- Frequent sitting, driving, walking and sitting
Areas of responsibility
- Establish a good working relationship with other team members.
- Foster positive communications and relationships with Black Walnut Kitchen and Bath Incorporated’s personnel, subcontractors and clients.
- Keep up to date on industry trends and developments.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in meetings as requested.
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Legally eligible to work in Canada- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or authorized in writing to work in Canada under the federal Immigration act (work permit).
- Valid Class G driver’s licence
- Reliability and dedication
- One or more years of experience in construction
- Ability to travel throughout the Ottawa area in own vehicle
- Ability to work overtime as and when needed
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One or more years of experience in residential kitchen and bath construction
- tiling and drywall experience
Application questionsYou have requested that Indeed ask candidates the following questions: How many years of Construction experience do you have?
- How many years of Residential renovation experience do you have?
- How many years of Skilled Labor experience do you have?
- Are you in Ottawa, ON?
- Do you speak English?
$18.00-$25.00 per hour
Ottawa, ON (Required)
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Construction: 1 year (Required)
- Skilled Labor: 1 year (Required)
- Residential renovation: 1 year (Required)
Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) (Preferred)